After selling his last enterprise software business, David A. Rosen has spent the last several years as an investor and consultant to industry, evaluating various markets in technology, systems, and software. While evaluating a couple of acquisitions, the opportunities of manufacturing became clearer and substantiated. What became apparent were the following trends in Manufacturing driving significant growth including:
- Transition from Mass to Micro-Manufacturing
- Economic Parity between Manufacturing closer to Demand vs. Closer to Supply (Off-Shore)
- Significant Growth Opportunities in Tech Hardware, Systems, and Software such as:
- Additive-3D Printing/ Manufacturing
- Internet of Things (IoT), Machine to Machine (M2M), and other similar products
- Mechatronics, Robotics, Animatronics, and other cross technical Machines
- Tech Fashion and Wearables
- Smart Cities
- Home, Factory and other Automations
- Opportunity to fill the skills gap in manufacturing (Machinists retiring and lack of replacements) with a large available and talented unemployed and underemployed workforce available
- Significant reductions in Corporate Research & Development provides opportunity to facilitate Greenfields of New Product businesses outside of the legacy corporate facilities and culture.
- Dominant Institutional (VCs and Private Equity) and Crowdfunding focus on Software Apps are yielding to increased investments and demand for Tech Hardware and Systems (“App Fatigue”).
As a result, Since December 2013, David has dedicated his energy, planning, and team building to bring forward the opportunity of TechX Foundry. A dedicated team has been established along with a group of more than 12 advisors, Business and Operating Plans have been created, several building options have been vetted and now underway to contract, Architects have developed the baseline for the facilities and addressing the needs of its members, users, and staff, consumer research conducted, and operating plans ready to go. Financing is being reviewed and the implementation is anticipated to begin in February 2015.